MOT Tomorrow

Talk about anything you like as long as it isn't offensive
Re-Carbed

MOT Tomorrow

Post by Re-Carbed »

"The box" is due for its MOT test tomorrow and I'm hoping for another year of razzing about, but the rot's gradually creeping in and I know one day it's going to be bad news. This year has been bad for the box as someone drove into the drivers door and stoved it in - I've pushed it out but it hasn't improved its looks. Let's see what happens... :?:
DotMatrix

Re: MOT Tomorrow

Post by DotMatrix »

how did the MOT go then?
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am how did the MOT go then?

Badly....and it'a R.I.P. I'm afraid for the box. Lots of corrosion issues - floor, sill and suspension mounting areas, both rear suspension pivots excessively loose and emissions which I've never been able to get into spec. Last year they were kind to it but now it's gone too far so another one bites the dust - bringing this model down to 22 still in use. My second and possibly last Metro...sad :(
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

yes that is sad. cant you sell it to someone and then buy a working one. it seems possible to find a relatively cheap metro still.
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 am yes that is sad. cant you sell it to someone and then buy a working one. it seems possible to find a relatively cheap metro still.
Sadly, my Rover Metro is still outside without an MOT but I liked driving it so much, and it is worth so little as it is that I cannot really justify getting rid - it still starts and drives great! However, prices are on the up so it may be worth money some day soon. I notice the days of buying a functional Metro for £130 are now over.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Re-Carbed wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:27 pm
DotMatrix wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 am yes that is sad. cant you sell it to someone and then buy a working one. it seems possible to find a relatively cheap metro still.
Sadly, my Rover Metro is still outside without an MOT but I liked driving it so much, and it is worth so little as it is that I cannot really justify getting rid - it still starts and drives great! However, prices are on the up so it may be worth money some day soon. I notice the days of buying a functional Metro for £130 are now over.
if the car is being stored outside I'm afraid that the rust will move quickly. especially if you have not applied any rust protection.
Wibblyp

Post by Wibblyp »

Mine sit out all year round and it's a real battle keeping the rust at bay as they get older. Two are going to need both arches doing in a year or so. Already done the cills, some of the floor pan and inner front arches at a cost of £530. Price you pay for trying to keep them going I guess. Still works out better value than a new car and so much better environmentally than a new car also.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Wibblyp wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 am Mine sit out all year round and it's a real battle keeping the rust at bay as they get older. Two are going to need both arches doing in a year or so. Already done the cills, some of the floor pan and inner front arches at a cost of £530. Price you pay for trying to keep them going I guess. Still works out better value than a new car and so much better environmentally than a new car also.
being able to do the repair work your self and having them stored in a spot where it does not rain and snow helps a lot!
I have also had some of my cars sitting outside while being used for some years until I got my own place with a garage.