Plastic bumpers / bumper covers

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Re-Carbed

Plastic bumpers / bumper covers

Post by Re-Carbed »

My front bumper has a damaged mounting on the offside and two of the three lugs that hold the bracket are snapped off. Also my rear bumper is scruffy and scuffed. I have now removed these items but my question is - is it OK to drive the car without these? I have fitted a rear foglamp as required by the MOT and fitted the number plate to the iron that goes across the front of the radiator. I would like to use the car during the process of repairing/replacing the bumpers but apart from being ugly, would there be any legal issues?
MHadley98

Re: Plastic bumpers / bumper covers

Post by MHadley98 »

If you're in the UK than i think it is a legal requirement to have a front bumper fitted at all times due to pedestrians, however im pretty sure the rear works like this "if its fitted from the factory it must be there, however if its not it doesn't need to be" so you would most likely get away with not running a rear one.

I could be wrong though :D :D
Re-Carbed

Re: Plastic bumpers / bumper covers

Post by Re-Carbed »

MHadley98 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:09 pm If you're in the UK than i think it is a legal requirement to have a front bumper fitted at all times due to pedestrians, however im pretty sure the rear works like this "if its fitted from the factory it must be there, however if its not it doesn't need to be" so you would most likely get away with not running a rear one.

I could be wrong though :D :D
I have since removed and repaired the mounting plate on my front bumper and cleaned and refitted the rear so it now looks OK. Without the rear bumper it looked odd and without the front bumper it looked incomplete! Although two of the three plastic mounting lugs that locate the mounting plale to the bumper had snapped at the bumper end, they are hollow which allowed me to fit longer screws that passed through them and screwed into what remained of the lug in the bumper moulding so it's quite secure now. BTW I was surprised just how easy it was to get both bumpers off - on previous cars it's been a nightmare.