Hydragass units or the shock absorbers (front suspension only)

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Crack Pot

Re: Hydragass units or the shock absorbers (front suspension only)

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:47 pm I was hoping to see a picture your actual car. Without seeing it, we can't really diagnose what is wrong.

In your first post you said your car "has no front suspension what so ever!" ..

I take it you mean it's sitting very low .. which would point to the Hydragas units .. they support the car like springs would in most vehicles. The shocks are there simply to even out bounces .. they will not support the car on their own.
Yes that rights it is sitting very low like it where over loaded. I did not understand the fundermentals of hydros+shocks, vs springs. But I though the shocks where there to absorb the shock as in a hydrolic piston

So given the fact that it is sitting with no suspension on the front what so ever! shall I just go with the notion that its the hydrogas units that need pumping or replacing

I have seen though hydrogas units many time in breakers yards going off only to be crushed. So I guess a decent braker will not rob you of to much for one. But the question hear is how universal are they from car to car?
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

Not very universal at all and not common!

Plus if you get them from a breaker how do you know they are any good?
"Bitza", my Austin A35, contains Metro parts ...
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 am Not very universal at all and not common!
How about a Rover 100? Is not the same in shell
gazza82mp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 am Plus if you get them from a breaker how do you know they are any good?
Depends on the breaker on how honest they are and value regular business as opposed to people burning the place down and stuff

But surley you would know if they where any good or not by looking at the cars suspension when its in the yard ready for part to be taken off of it
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

I have been watching some videos on Hydrogas units and I found this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbesqZg1R0

Apparently you dont have to re-gas your hydros with a special gas, the hydro unit dose it all for you its self, all you have to do is add a water based liquid to the base of the hydro though a bleed nipple to raise or lower the suspension of the car

The water based hydro liquid is easy to buy but you need to buy the proper pump connected to its resesvor/ tank along with its drainer/ bleed nipple
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

I think pumping up the hydragas units is a bit more complex than that ..
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

well in the video you can see him doing it and it dose work
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

You'd need to ask a supplier like HAHS or Rimmer about compatibility between Metro and 100 .. BL often made subtle changes to parts.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RP1974R

I would be wary of buying 2nd hand units from a breaker as you have no idea of their condition and these probably need to be pumped up to quite high pressures.

I don't own a Metro or Rover 100 so I'll leave it to others more knowledgable to comment further ...