Firing problem

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Wibblyp

Firing problem

Post by Wibblyp »

Evening all. After a top end rebuild and re wrapping of the loom it is now back together. In my stupidity I managed to swap the coil and crank sensor connectors around, this is now corrected. I then had a problem that eventually led me to discover that I had no continuity between the centre and outer edge of the rotor arm.
So I now have a spark at the plugs and fuel coming from the pipe when ignition is on.
The engine will still not fire.
Is there a possibility that I have damaged the crank sensor and thereby the ecu is not sending fuel to the injectors ?
Anyone have any possible causes other than this ?

Cheers

Paul
Dave VVC

Re: Firing problem

Post by Dave VVC »

Take fuel rail off with injectors fitted, then crank engine over, the injectors should
spray fuel, the fuel you are seeing when ign is turned on could just be the pump
priming and not in a running condition.
Marksouthwales

Post by Marksouthwales »

you could be loosing crank sensor. initial ignition will purge the injectors. on cranking they will continue to spray, but with no spark to fire.
Rover 114 Gta
MGF Trophy 160
Ex mechanic Austin, Mazda, 89-2004
South Wales MGf register, mgoc
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

He says he has spark, so crank sensor is ok.
Ign on only pulses the fuel pump to get fuel pressure up, does not fire the injectors,
on cranking, ign, fuel pump and injectors run to start, engine will run for about 3 secs
while ecu looks for alarm immobilisor matching, if it gets it, engine continues to run,
if not, engine cuts out after @ 3 secs, This is mems 1.9, 2J and mems 3. On earlier
mems 1.6 and diesels, the alarm only immobilises the starter circuit, so, if you can get
ign on, you can bump-start the car.
If you do what I said, ie remove fuel rail with injectors still connected, and crank the engine,
the injectors should spray fuel, and you should get spark, if no spark and no fuel on cranking, assume
eng immobilised, if no fuel and ign spark is ok, trace fuel fault, ie inertia switch is pressed in,
pump is delivering fuel, if thats ok, the injectors may not be plugged in to the loom.
or the drivers in the ecu may be kaput.
Wibblyp

Post by Wibblyp »

Didn’t want to own up to this but I managed to get the fuel lines the wrong way round !
No laughing please.

Paul