Fuel tank.

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Matthew

Fuel tank.

Post by Matthew »

I’m looking at changing the metro from a 1.1 carb to a 1.4 mpi can anyone tell me please if I need to change the fuel tank? As I see there are two types.
Many thanks
Dave VVC

Re: Fuel tank.

Post by Dave VVC »

Hi, yes you need to fit a injection tank as the fuel pump is inside, plus fitting feed and return lines and power to the pump. Any mpi tank will be ok as it will have the mpi pump installed, dont use a spi pump as its own internal pressure relief valve (lockout valve) pressure will be too low.
You might think its poss use carb tank and fit a high cap pump externally, but you run the risk of fuel surge inside the tank at anything less than 1/4 tank and engine leaning out fuelwise, the mpi tanks has this covered with the pump sitting in its own swirl-pot with the fuel return pipe feeding into this to ensure pump is always fed with fuel.

ps, there are 3 types of fuel tank, 1 is carb, single supply pipe, sender unit mounted on the side of the tank,
2 is carb, single supply pipe, sender mounted on top of tank,
3 is injection tank, sender is mounted on the top of tank, along with fuel pump mounting, (6 nuts), with feed and return lines, with either mpi pump or spi pump fitted.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thankyou for your response.
Could I get around this by fitting an external swirl pot and tank or not as I would like to use it once done on track days.

Many thanks
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

Hi, you could get away with an external swirl pot, but it can be a bit awkward siting it, as there is not much room,
There is a new inj tank on ebay, item 154280761649, this looks like the galvanised tank that I have used before.
the internal swirlpot system is not as good as the oem, the 'filler hole' in the pot to keep fuel in pot is a bit too big, ie, as fast as the fuel goes in to top it up from gravity and the returning fuel line, it can run out, I solved this buy reducing the size of the hole and fitting a MGF fuel return venturi onto the fuel return pipe, so the returning fuel also picked up fuel from outside of the pot and then dumped it into the pot, the hole to get your hand in to do this is the pump mounting hole, and comes with sharp edges!, If you can get a oem inj tank, get it, as the fuel return venturi is already fitted, and will allow the tank to run right down before fuel surge happens, Venturi's are a great idea as for every ltr of fuel that passes through it, it will pick up about another ltr of fuel.