MG TF EPAS into '88 Metro

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
shambo

MG TF EPAS into '88 Metro

Post by shambo »

Hoping someone has some info on this, I want to fit the TF front subframe into my 88 metro but want to retain the TF EPAS system and I'm swapping the ABS system from the TF over too.

Does anyone know if the EPAS system take its speed signal from the ABS unit or the main engine ECU?
Dave VVC

Re: MG TF EPAS into '88 Metro

Post by Dave VVC »

The front TF frame doesn,t house the Epas, its on the steering column inside the car,
you may have problems finding space to fit epas due to size and position of epas motor,
iirc the speed signal is taken off abs ring(s) and engine rpm.
the epas is speed sensitive, ie, max assistance when parking, reduced assistance as veh speed increases.
shambo

Post by shambo »

Dave VVC wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:02 pm The front TF frame doesn,t house the Epas, its on the steering column inside the car,
you may have problems finding space to fit epas due to size and position of epas motor,
iirc the speed signal is taken off abs ring(s) and engine rpm.
the epas is speed sensitive, ie, max assistance when parking, reduced assistance as veh speed increases.
Sorry, should have made more sense of the question in my OP, using the TF subframe I want to use the column and EPAS from the donor TF aswell <- that is how I should have put it :lol:

Dashboard is being removed along with the crossbrace to fit a roll cage/spaceframe so space hopefully won't be a problem. Have since found out that the TF donor car doesn't actually have ABS, so, can i use the single wheel speed sensor from the n/s/r wheel to feed the EPAS unit?
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

Mates V8 vauxhall has speed sensor taken off the back of the gearbox. There are 2 types
of column spline sizes that go onto the rack, one is tf/metro size and the later one is bigger.
Marksouthwales

Post by Marksouthwales »

I believe m and tf with no.abs, pick up from ecu, at least it does, on my mgf trophy
Rover 114 Gta
MGF Trophy 160
Ex mechanic Austin, Mazda, 89-2004
South Wales MGf register, mgoc
shambo

Post by shambo »

Marksouthwales wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:47 pm I believe m and tf with no.abs, pick up from ecu, at least it does, on my mgf trophy
Yes, from what I can find out, the signal goes to the ECU and gets sent to the dashboard cluster and then sent to the EPAS. I'm probably going to use the TF speedo cluster in the metro as it suits the build, just have to sort out getting the output from the ECU I'm going to use to go to the speedo in the proper way.
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

Yes signal, goes to speedo cluster, problem my mate had was that pas worked ok until rpm went above
about 2500rpm, then pas turned off and ecu fault led came on, I think it was fixed by linking a
pull-up resister across from pas ecu signal wire to rpm signal wire. BUT, I think this had to be done because
he's not using a TF speedo cluster, which has the resister built into it.