Replace Hydrolastic suspension with Springs & Dampers Mk2

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Jona

Replace Hydrolastic suspension with Springs & Dampers Mk2

Post by Jona »

Hi.
I have had a look at various web sites, I am aware that Mk3 / 100 can be converted to coil overs etc, but does anybody know if a Mk2 can be done?
I have looked at some of the mini springs (aftermarket performance parts) which replace the rubber cones and wonder if they can be incorporated in the Metro subframe with hi-low's?
Dampers will need installing of course.
Anybody done this, any opinions, any links to somewhere that may help?
Cheers
Jona
DotMatrix

Re: Replace Hydrolastic suspension with Springs & Dampers Mk2

Post by DotMatrix »

my opinion is that the hydragas suspension fitted as standard is the best option. you can make it soft for everyday driving and you can make it low and hard. all with the same components also you dont really need dampers (cheaper variants doesn't have dampers)

the mini boys does not have a lot of possitive things to say about those short coils. they say they bottom out and aren't progressive enough in the spring.

putting dampers and coils in the back will mean a lot of fabricating.

If I were to fit another type of suspension it would be because the hydragas elements failed and I would fit mini rubber cones because they are available new and will last a long time.