KV6

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Re-Carbed

KV6

Post by Re-Carbed »

Rover KV6 engine - any good or best avoided? Seems powerful but has complex cam drive and may be unreliable?
DotMatrix

Re: KV6

Post by DotMatrix »

the four things I know about it is that its a nice an powerful engine to drive but the VIS mechanism in the inlet fails and is difficult to repair, it seems to develop a water leak in the thermostat house and the cambelts are plentiful and probably expensive to have a garage to change.
Re-Carbed

Re: KV6

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:40 am the four things I know about it is that its a nice an powerful engine to drive but the VIS mechanism in the inlet fails and is difficult to repair, it seems to develop a water leak in the thermostat house and the cambelts are plentiful and probably expensive to have a garage to change.
I only asked because there was a Rover 45 auto with one of these for sale and it went for £425. I was suspicious why they sold it and looked on Youtube for details of the engine - changing the cam belts (3) is a right business and demands several special tools and replacement torque-to-yield bolts so it was probably due. Also the camshafts are driven in a strange way - the inlet camshaft is driven from the crankshaft by a long belt and the exhaust camshaft is driven from the other end of the inlet by a short belt - the valve timing cannot be that precise since the opening of the last two exhaust valves is done via two belts and two twisting shafts - over-complicated I thought. Still, it's gone now.