1983 Mk1 only first and reverse gears operative

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
ptmt

1983 Mk1 only first and reverse gears operative

Post by ptmt »

Hello,
Only first and reverse gears are operative. Before replacing the gearbox, do you think it might be possible to drive a short distance to the annual test, and that the car will not stop on the testing equipment?

Thank you for your replies- I might not respond promptly.
DotMatrix

Re: 1983 Mk1 only first and reverse gears operative

Post by DotMatrix »

wont they fail it for only having some gears?

there is definitely something wrong, but whether its the selector mechanism, the pins connecting it to the gearbox selector shaft or the gearbox it self is hard to say.

it the trouble lies inside the gearbox I wouldn't drive it any where if gears were missing as you need as many parts as possible to rebuild the gearbox. new gears are expensive.
ptmt

Post by ptmt »

They test only for safety: brakes, suspension etc.

Certainly it is better to repair the gearbox, but here there is some time limit for doing the test , so I thought, maybe, to to try before the car is in driving condition.

Among other faults Haynes has: "Ineffective synchromesh" which is due to: "Worn baulk rings". The fact is that the second gear cannot be engaged.

I have no experience at all with gearboxes, but is it possible that the part responsible for engaging the first gear is good?
Last edited by ptmt on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

hard to say without having felt the box, but if you cannot select the second gear even with the car turned off and then starting it with the clutch down, then I dont think its the synchros. then my guess would be some bearing.
ptmt

Post by ptmt »

I'll try ASAP which is not immediately.
In order to be sure: I have to try this with the clutch down without releasing the clutch pedal later when the engine starts?
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

I would try: engage second gear, clutch down, start car, release clutch, wheels turning, clutch down, wheels stopped. without any funny noises or anything. if this works, then maybe its just the synchros.
ptmt

Post by ptmt »

Again thank you-sorry for my late response
ptmt

Post by ptmt »

It seems my reply failed to arrive, so I repeat it approximately.
I tried on stands and on wheels.

On stands: I selected second gear, then released clutch, the wheels turned. After the wheels stopped I selected third gear and released clutch, again the wheels turned.

On wheels, car stationary: after selecting second gear and releasing clutch the car moved, though the ground was uphill and not smooth.

Does this show what the problem is?
Is it possible, by special handling of the clutch, to drive the car even before the problem is solved?
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Just a thought. Do you know how clutch slip feels?
ptmt

Post by ptmt »

Probably I don"t know how clutch slip feels.

However, from standing I can move the car on first , reverse, and even second gear by releasing the clutch carefully.

But while the car is going, and it is on first gear, there is a grinding sound when I try to engage the second.

There is no leak under the clutch slave cylinder, and the reservoir is full.