VVC Woes

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
DevonMetro

VVC Woes

Post by DevonMetro »

Hi all,
So firstly i would like to appologise for the (possibly) long post.
I have bought my self a lovely Rover 100 with 1.8 VVC 160 mems3 conversion however i have been coming up against a lot of issues.
Firstly the VVC mechs i think are stuck. I am getting the limiter come in at around 5,500rpm and have a bunch of errors on my ECU (listed below)
P0110
P0136
P0141
P0195
P0443
P0501
P1521

The intake Air Temp circuit (P0110) is ok as i know the unit isnt plugged in but the others are making me confused.
Can anyone help me out?

I also need to sort my suspension and replace my heater matrix if anyone is near Exeter and fancies lending a hand?
"But it's only a Metro!
Dave VVC

Re: VVC Woes

Post by Dave VVC »

DevonMetro wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:11 pm Hi all,
So firstly i would like to appologise for the (possibly) long post.
I have bought my self a lovely Rover 100 with 1.8 VVC 160 mems3 conversion however i have been coming up against a lot of issues.
Firstly the VVC mechs i think are stuck. I am getting the limiter come in at around 5,500rpm and have a bunch of errors on my ECU (listed below)
P0110
P0136
P0141
P0195
P0443
P0501
P1521

The intake Air Temp circuit (P0110) is ok as i know the unit isnt plugged in but the others are making me confused.
Can anyone help me out?

I also need to sort my suspension and replace my heater matrix if anyone is near Exeter and fancies lending a hand?
P0136, P0141, is O2 post cat sensor

P0195 is oil temp sensor, prob the one in the VVC HCU housing.

P0443 is Charcoal can, have you got one plugged in?,

P0501 is electric speedo sensor signal, but you're running a cable speedo right?

P1521 is VVC solenoid, prob causing 5500rpm limit.

P0136 and P0141 are post cat related.
Post cat sensor isn't needed as is only monitors the cat, it doesn't influence fuelling to the engine.

P0195 and P1521 could be related if these plugs are not connected the right way around, on Mems3 engines, you have 3 plugs around the VVC solenoids and HCU housing, looking at the engine from the front with the gearbox on your right hand side, the Black plug (its a BMW plug) has to be connected to the HCU oil temp sensor, (that is a BMW sensor).
The Brown plug connects to the VVC solenoid closest to the HCU housing.
The Blue plug connects to the VVC solenoid nearest the Throttle body.
If you have done this and the rpm is still limited to 5500, I would suspect the HCU piston is sticking.
Plug in your Air intake temp sensor as the ecu defaults to minus 36 deg C and puts too much fuel in, It WONT make your car go faster!!!!, it'll only cost more in petrol!.
DevonMetro

Post by DevonMetro »

Thanks for the reply!!!
So as far as charcoal can i don't think i have one connected or even present in the engine bay,
I am indeed running cable speedo,
I'm guessing as i have aftermarket exhaust i dont have a post cat sensor
The black plug is connected but i think the connector is loose as when i take it off the female end of the connectors are wide open (not closed like the others, Possibly lost their springyness) I have got the plugs connected the right way round, I have got a friend sending me a replacement VVC HCU thingy. with sensors etc.

I need to reconnect the AIT sensor as the wires have been cut off so just waiting for a replacement plug to arrive then i need to find out which wires to connect to which side lol! it is currently reading -40
"But it's only a Metro!
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

DevonMetro wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 am Thanks for the reply!!!
So as far as charcoal can i don't think i have one connected or even present in the engine bay,
I am indeed running cable speedo,
I'm guessing as i have aftermarket exhaust i dont have a post cat sensor
The black plug is connected but i think the connector is loose as when i take it off the female end of the connectors are wide open (not closed like the others, Possibly lost their springyness) I have got the plugs connected the right way round, I have got a friend sending me a replacement VVC HCU thingy. with sensors etc.

I need to reconnect the AIT sensor as the wires have been cut off so just waiting for a replacement plug to arrive then i need to find out which wires to connect to which side lol! it is currently reading -40
I use the charcoal can ign (ecu live) live wire (Brown and Pink ) to trip the coolant fan relay. Relay connectors are 85 = Slate/Grey (ecu coolant temp signal), 86 = Brown/Pink (from charcoal can plug), 30 = Batt live (fused 30A), last conn to Rad fan power in. Rad fan out goes to earth.
If you want a override switch for the fan, all you need to do is to tee off a wire from the Slate/Grey wire, put it through a switch to earth, I tend to use a HRW switch turned upside down so the arrows are pointing down and fit it in one of the spare blanks next to the speedo (R100, not metro). Just remember that the Slate/Grey wire from the ecu is a EARTH trigger for the relay, not a live one.
co
DevonMetro

Post by DevonMetro »

So looks like this is all going on the back burner for now as my head gasket has apparently gone again!
"But it's only a Metro!