Sill protectors and timing belt advice.

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Veedub68

Sill protectors and timing belt advice.

Post by Veedub68 »

The 114 I bought a few weeks ago hasn't moved, as I'm waiting to have the timing belt done before I start using it. I would appreciate advice on whether to have the timing belt, water pump and head gasket done at the same time. I've read that there are 3 types of head gasket, the most recent of which pretty much removes all the issues of the earlier ones. Also, I've been trying to remove the sill protectors to check the condition of the sills. The screws are out, but I don't want to force them too much for fear of breaking any clips. Is there a knack to this?
Metrotel

Re: Sill protectors and timing belt advice.

Post by Metrotel »

Hi mate;

The sill protectors have clips on the back that are slotted, all you have to do is knock them either forwards or backwards..can’t remember which way but pretty sure it’s forwards.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

definately do waterpump, timingbelt and tensioner at the same time. I would wait with the headgasket if you dont have problems with it.
111SLi

Post by 111SLi »

The best headgasket for a K series is the Payen Elastomer gasket.

Not heard of a fail yet unlike the MLS type which fail if you have uneven liners and/ or weep coolant from the block.
Veedub68

Post by Veedub68 »

I'm going to speak to my local garage who have been very reasonable for a numbers of things on various cars. I have the bely and tensioner, plus a new water pump now. How much do you think is a reasonable price to pay for the work?