best fuel for turbo engine

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
tomster

best fuel for turbo engine

Post by tomster »

Hi I have just bought a 1984 mg metro turbo and was wondering what was best fuel to run on. I take it i will have to put in lead additive like redex and was not sure if super unleaded would be better than normal unleaded. Car arrives at end of week so hoping to get a run out at the weekend. All help/tips appreciated as was 1994 when i sold my last one. Cheers Tommy
DotMatrix

Re: best fuel for turbo engine

Post by DotMatrix »

having taken many non turbo engines apart, including late engines spec'ed for unleaded according to the paper, I have found none of them have had leadfree valve seat inserts. So I would definitely run an additive in the fuel or have the cylinder head converted. But I can't say for sure with the turbo as I have never worked on that engine. regarding fuel I would definitely put a high octane fuel in to be sure to avoid pinging.
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

turbo engines were all 98 octane rated.
if you really need a lead replacement it a hot argued topic. but to be on the safe side i would use one. the turbo exhaust valves run very hot, hence they were sodium cooled out of the factory, so they can use all the protection they can get
tomster

Post by tomster »

Thanks for the help. I will put super unleaded and lead replacement additive in when i fill up and see how it goes.