1.8 vvc 160

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Foulger

Re: 1.8 vvc 160

Post by Foulger »

Hello all,
Since my last post - I have not done much on the car due to DIY commitments!
Have considered just selling the lot on an internet site as a going concern!

Opening the bonnet on the MGZR - with the engine cam belt to the right - the big Silver VVC control thing has a black plug on it - then moving left there is a brown plug and further left again is the blue plug.
is this the correct order - I am certain its MEMS3 as there are coil packs under a plastic cover.

Could the dying be due to the inlet gasket? if so - is there a method to find out before removal?
cheers
Shaun
Foulger

Post by Foulger »

Hello all
I took to-day off and had a good probe around under the bonnet of the MGZR - I have the VVC plugs in the correct place as the engine will rev to 7500 rpm - but looking at these plugs - noticed that below the throttle body - there is the inlet tract & injector no4 which has a sensor screwed into the side of it coloured Green. I cannot find a dangling plug to plug on to this sensor - could this be the issue?
Metro_Guy

Post by Metro_Guy »

Air temp sensor

might have something to do with it

the ecu usually adjusts injector opening times based on feedback from that sensor

have you checked for air leaks ?
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

MEMS3 should have the air temp sensor fitted inside the MAP sensor.
maybe someone used an earlier manifold and just left the sensor to plug the hole.
beeing MEMS3 it is OBD2 compatible so any cheap diagnosis tools should give a rough hint what is wrong
Foulger

Post by Foulger »

Hello Guys
Its been cold - so I have left the MG
I bought a code reader from the internet and plugged that into the OBDC and I can read the ECU number etc. but there are no fault codes.

After the beast from the east - I re-connected the battery negative lead - and the car fired up straight away - but in less than a minute it was dying - coughing as if stangled of air.
if I let it die - I can turn the key and it starts again instantly and runs for another minute.

I only have a couple of bits of rust and this issue to resolve and its a nice car... any ideas?
if I disconnect the IACV it does the same...