Mk1 MG hill climb racer

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
DotMatrix

Re: Mk1 MG hill climb racer

Post by DotMatrix »

bought a new reproduction distributor and had it recurved. it is now fitted and working. the old one although working fine was getting quite worn.

Zimzimmer

Post by Zimzimmer »

Well done on the race. Keep it up great thread
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

thanks. nice to know some one is reading it :)
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

No engine out and rebuilding for me this year, which is very nice :)
I have however been doing a few small fixes and additions like the new dizzy and this new rear anti roll bar which I bought from ralph on ebay (component engineering)
I also removed my old large rubber rear rebound stops and fitted some that primarily is made from aluminium. I did this to try and reduce the way the rear of the car can sometimes bounce up and down when going going round an uneven turn fast during hill climbing.
And then I found out that the plastic bush in my steering rack was worn too much and had too much play in the passenger side end of the steering rack so I changed this bush for a less worn used item.
The last thing I did was swap the front wheels to the rear and the rear to the front because my front tyres are quite worn and E-marked semislick tyres in 175/50-13 are not that easy to find.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

The first race of the season is tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to this :) but my race class is hard this year, it has many of the same participants as last year, but with some new unknown participants. the class is cars from 1000-1300cc and my opponents are fiat 128 rally, fiat 128 coupe, fiat 1/9x, alfasud ti, toyota starlet and a mini.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

I had a very successfull race yesterday. I won my group :) out of the six participants in my group 2 broke down and one didn't show up. I am very pleased with the result :) The race took place on a race track where we did 4 laps at a time, with start and stop in the pit. We were sent away one at a time with 30 seconds apart.
The car drove very nicely but on the first lap I could hear a slight pinging going down the straight, this must have been my new dizzy behaving differently than my old at the same setting (degrees). I turned the dizzy anti clockwise a very small amount and this removed my pinging problem and the car performed flawlessly the rest of the day.

last weekend I did a few mods. I added a door handle and a door pocket so that I would have a place for my phone and that it would be easier to close the door. I thought that 1 extra kilo was a small price to pay for a bit of comfort ;) I also removed the heater since no water was flowing through it any more it was just dead weight. I will later make a blanking plate and remove the heater motor as well.

also check out my new parking-tarpaulin with logo and my cool arrangement for holding up the tailgate after removing the gas-struts.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Look at my nice metropower A-series sticker :)

I am trying to save weight and remove unnecessary things so I removed my heater blower and blanked off the hole where it used to sit using a thin sheet of aluminium.
Now I am thinking about fitting some fresh air ducting to blow cold air on the windscreen on rainy days of racing, only I don't know where to get the air from when I want it to look nice, and not just be e.g. a hole I cut in the passenger side window.

Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am The first race of the season is tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to this :) but my race class is hard this year, it has many of the same participants as last year, but with some new unknown participants. the class is cars from 1000-1300cc and my opponents are fiat 128 rally, fiat 128 coupe, fiat 1/9x, alfasud ti, toyota starlet and a mini.
I owned an Alfasud 1500 in 1987 and it was savagely fast. The carburation was such that it behaved itself for the first 80% of throttle travel but the last 20% sprung open a large, second venturi that launched it like a rocket - with a loud, harsh rasp from the exhaust. Happy days! - then it rusted and fell to pieces. In 1990 I owned a 1983 Alfa Giulietta 2000cc saloon in black which had a pair of twin, sidedraught Weber carbs and that was very fast as well. Great fun, old Alfas but very rare as they just don't last.
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:24 pm Look at my nice metropower A-series sticker :)

I am trying to save weight and remove unnecessary things so I removed my heater blower and blanked off the hole where it used to sit using a thin sheet of aluminium.
Now I am thinking about fitting some fresh air ducting to blow cold air on the windscreen on rainy days of racing, only I don't know where to get the air from when I want it to look nice, and not just be e.g. a hole I cut in the passenger side window.

Why not cut a hole in your blanking plate and have a lightweight tube that butts on to the bonnet vent when the bonnet is closed? I need not weigh much, and could have a concertina bit at the upper end for a good seal. That way any air rammed in during racing would have to go through your usual system of cabin ducts etc and you could divert it to the windscreen with the lever - or the face vents. Would,t do much when you are still though.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Re-Carbed wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 pm
DotMatrix wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am The first race of the season is tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to this :) but my race class is hard this year, it has many of the same participants as last year, but with some new unknown participants. the class is cars from 1000-1300cc and my opponents are fiat 128 rally, fiat 128 coupe, fiat 1/9x, alfasud ti, toyota starlet and a mini.
I owned an Alfasud 1500 in 1987 and it was savagely fast. The carburation was such that it behaved itself for the first 80% of throttle travel but the last 20% sprung open a large, second venturi that launched it like a rocket - with a loud, harsh rasp from the exhaust. Happy days! - then it rusted and fell to pieces. In 1990 I owned a 1983 Alfa Giulietta 2000cc saloon in black which had a pair of twin, sidedraught Weber carbs and that was very fast as well. Great fun, old Alfas but very rare as they just don't last.
yes those alfasuds does sound nice, but the engine is a bit strange being a boxer thing way up front. although this particular alfa wasn't that fast, but I think it was the fault of the driver and not the car