Mk1 MG hill climb racer

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
DotMatrix

Re: Mk1 MG hill climb racer

Post by DotMatrix »

I don't have pictures this time but a very short, very noisy and not very informative video of the car on the rolling road last Thursday.
if you maximize the video you can just see the rev counter :-)

http://skjulestedet.dk/videos/videomp4. ... lt2017.mp4

with everything adjusted properly the result of the rolling road was initially 99bhp at 5900rpm and 121nm at 5700rpm at the wheels which was quite disappointing as the result with the old block was 107bhp at 6700rpm and 117nm at 6000rpm. But I guess power and rpm is lower due to the lower compression in this new engine.

we then tried to do a run without springs in the carburettors because I had read about this in the Des Hamill SU carb tuning book and very interestingly without any other changes this gave the result of 106bhp at 6300rpm and 129nm at 5500rpm, which baffled us both.

The trouble with running the carburetors without springs is that the the car would only really run at WOT and would not idle at all. So the next thing I did was shorten the springs to achieve an equal an lower rating which gave the result of 103bhp at 5900rpm and 124nm at 5600rpm which was where we stopped.

The rolling road guy advised me to investigate the possibility to be allowed to run a weber setup in my class as this would be much easier for him to adjust properly and would make him able to get the most of the engine, so I am currently searching for proof that the MG metro was raced in period with weber carbs so please tell me if any of you know about this :)
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

great to see it going back to work, and no longer collecting dust
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

regarding the power, you may try to adjust the cam by 1 or 2°. the advertised adjustment may be slightly off to what the engine wants. and with the gear set its quite easy to do.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

KLAS wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm regarding the power, you may try to adjust the cam by 1 or 2°. the advertised adjustment may be slightly off to what the engine wants. and with the gear set its quite easy to do.
you are right, moving the cam a bit would be very interesting to try, but that isn't an quick job with the engine in the car and the car strapped to the rolling road. would be easy if the engine was strapped to a engine test stand. I could bring a setup with like only a front subframe to the dyno, that way there would be easy access to everything for that sort of adjustments :)
KLAS

Post by KLAS »

you only have to really want to do it ;)
or design a timing cover with removable upper half so you have easier access to the cam drive

on the other hand, you have more torque at lower revs and playing with the carbs showed there is still something to gain
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

should be quite easy to design such a cover, and I really want those extra hp to bring it up to the level of the old engine.
but I think I will start with fixing all the small issues and loose ends on this car before the next race in less than one month.

but yes, on the one hand the extra torque and peak power at lower revs is a good thing regarding acceleration but on the other hand having peak power at approx 1000rpm lower reduced my speed at peak power with about 20km/h, so lets hope the top speed is still high enough.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

So i bought a braided goodridge verto clutch hose for a mini thinking it would fit. It doesnt in any way. The mini and metro verto slave cylinders even have different threads. But it was all made to fit together so it works now but i will order a mini verto slave cylinder to bring the bodge level down:-)
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

I am building a new instrument cluster for this car that has a better rev counter and doesn't have a speedo as it didn't work anyway and when it worked it was impossible to gear the drive so that it was right.
I am using the normal plastic wire print for connections where I have found the correct connection points. for the oil temperature gauge I am putting in some new wires and a new sensor. It is not finished yet as you can see.

Artstu

Post by Artstu »

Jon made this one for his Midas

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

that looks good. its a much more modern dash in such a car I see :)
do you have a link to that speedo?