998 mk2

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
DotMatrix

Re: 998 mk2

Post by DotMatrix »

so the past week or so I have been doing rust work to this car. the reason for this is partly that it was beginning to show its holles and needs an MOT in about a month, and when I was changing a rear subframe mount I noticed some holes and a missing edge behind the left hand site mount.

this rust repair turned out to be a new panel being fitted along with some metal work in the inner wing around the mount. also I patched up two spots in the front wing.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

more welding up rust holes done. several places in the front left inner wing and below the front headlamp

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

so the last couple of days I have been doing the last fixes to get the car ready for its MOT. This involved changing a front ball-joint that was worn out, changing the gaiter on the steering knuckle and fixing the right side rear brake cylinder as it was leaking.

I took the front hub off and putting it in the vice the car as I find it the easiest way to change ball-joints.
The rear brake I also took totally apart, changed the adjuster for another I had previously renovated, took the wheel cylinder off, honed it and changed the seals and put it all together with a new pair of brake shoes.

Then today I went to the MOT place and I only got one advisory, which was that the lights was adjusted to low. No fails regarding suspension, brakes or rust which I am very happy about :)

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

so a lot of things have been done to this car since my last post so here is some pictures of that.

the car had its MOT and that went well so now its ready for 2 more years:)

I put a rebuild kit in the other rear wheel cylinder, fitted some things so stop the drivers carpet sliding in under the pedal, welded and painted some spots bellow the drivers side door, regreased the clutch arm and had the cylinder head off because the car was using oil so I wanted to change the valve guides, change the valve stem seals, lap the valves and check the piston slap.

DevonMetro

Post by DevonMetro »

Looking good bud! cant wait to see it finished. I love build logs though, nice to see what goes on behind the scenes.
"But it's only a Metro!
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

DevonMetro wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 am Looking good bud! cant wait to see it finished. I love build logs though, nice to see what goes on behind the scenes.
Glad some one reads this:-)
I dont think the car will ever be finished as such. Its being used daily by my girlfriend so all this Work is just regular maintenance on a car that is never inside and drives 13000 miles yearly :-)
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

fitted a sticker bought from the online shop on this page :)

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

don't you just hate it when this happens. it happened twice in one week and both times I just cut 1 inch of hose off and refitted it. this was some weeks ago and it hasen't happened since :)

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

What you see spread out on this table is the internals of a lucas speedometer for this metro. the odometer stopped working and I wanted to fix this and still have the same number. this meant that I had to take it apart to find out how it works and see if it could be fixed. I have never taken a speedometer apart before so it was a learning experience. very funky mechanical thing :) in the end the plastic cogs and wheels were probably worn out and I ended up lightly regreasing an other speedo and setting the odometer to the reading of this car and fitting it inside the housing for this car housing.

the reason I didn't just use the other speedo as a complete unit was because I found out that the part of the internals I needed to change was the same on some mk1 speedos as on this mk2 and I have spare mk1 speedos so I used one of these to build a working mk2 speedo.

as this is a very base spec metro it didn't have wires for rear speakers but I wanted to fit a pair so I ran the wires inside the sills and rear arches and fitted two, admittedly probably too cheap speaker, but they work :)

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

I want to fit this car with a tow bar, and I had an old rusty one from another car. I have had this sandblasted and painted and here it is fitted to the car :)