998 mk2

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
DotMatrix

998 mk2

Post by DotMatrix »

this is the journal for my Austin Metro 998 mk2 special.
some of you might know this car from the old forum and the car and a detailed journal can be found there.
this car was originally bought by my father and driven by my little sister for a couple of years until she rear ended an other car. the car was then parked outside for almost two years without being used which promoted the rust quickly.
at this point I needed the car as my previous daily (my gti) had broken down badly so we fixed this quickly and I drove it for some years until my girlfriend took over the car and she has been using it as her daily ever since.

the car is by no means a concourse car nor is it the intention, but I am slowly sorting out the rough patches and at some point I would like to give it a new lick of paint.

anyway here are a few pictures that tells the story of this car so far:

DotMatrix

Re: 998 mk2

Post by DotMatrix »

some of you might recognise this car as it was the one me and the girlfriend went to the to-fest in in 2015

besides the routine maintenance of new exhausts, brake repairs and necessary rust repairs I have welded up and painted the drivers door and the tailgate. I also fitted a set of cross-spoke wheels which were painted gold.

new properly renovated high compression 998 engine with 1275 cylinderhead and 65bhp

gold wheels

dual rear fog lamps

newly renovated heater
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

did you know that the heater switch in a mk2 metro contains a small light-bulb that is soldered in. I disassembled the switch because it stopped working all together and found the light bulb. So I went on amazon and purchased these small 12v 1.2w bulbs to solder in. I then fixed the switch, greased and cleaned everything and glued a new tip on one of the two white plastic things which was worn away. by the way, in the second picture I have accidentally positioned the left switch connection the wrong way round, this meant that both button positions would result in the low setting, remember to not make that mistake.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

so I have been doing a bit of maintenance on this car. besides polishing the summer alloys I have been changing one of the rear subframe mounts and the c-bracket which was rusted through, both on the right hand side of the rear subframe. exactly two years ago I changed both rear subframe mounts, about half a year ago I had to change the left one again as it was worn out and now the right one is worn out also. is 1,5-2 years really as long as these NOS mounts are good for. seem a very short time. I will have to stockpile a few mounts then.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

summer alloys now fitted. still looks great :)
I also removed some rust spots and painted them. I know its not that great looking and that there is overspray, but its ok. its not a show car.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

the bonnet on this car is getting quite rough and rusty so I have found another bonnet and removed all the inside rust with a wire-wheel and now I am treating it with some of that rust-converter stuff. when it has done its job I will prime the spots and consider whether to spray paint it my self or get a painter to do it. Today I called a paint shop nearby which gave me a good price on painting the wheels but they wanted £300+ to paint this bonnet so I guess they didn't want to do it for some reason.

OrangeManDan

Post by OrangeManDan »

Have you considered a fiberglass bonnet? There's a guy on the facebook page making some but I'm not sure if he's made some up for the A series yet but I'm sure he will/would.

For £300 I think I would rather spray it myself or at least ask around in more body shops.
1994 Metro L 1.1 8V Carb Nightfire Red
1996 111 Knightsbridge 1.1 8V MPI Tahiti Blue
1996 114 SLI 1.4 8V SPI Chawton White
1994 Metro GTi 1.4 16V MPI Flame Red
1995 114 SLI 1.4 8V SPI British Racing Green
1996 111 Knightsbridge SE 1.1 8V MPI Nightfire Red
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

OrangeManDan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm Have you considered a fiberglass bonnet? There's a guy on the facebook page making some but I'm not sure if he's made some up for the A series yet but I'm sure he will/would.

For £300 I think I would rather spray it myself or at least ask around in more body shops.
yes I will either be respraying it myself or finding a cheaper place to do it. but it will last longer regarding rust if I get a professional to spray it.

regarding the fiberglass bonnet I wont be fitting one on this car no, but if an a-series on do pop up for sale I might buy one for one of my other cars.
OrangeManDan

Post by OrangeManDan »

Yeah you are probably right there actually.

Are you on the MetroPower Facebook group? If not, I'll keep an eye for you :)
1994 Metro L 1.1 8V Carb Nightfire Red
1996 111 Knightsbridge 1.1 8V MPI Tahiti Blue
1996 114 SLI 1.4 8V SPI Chawton White
1994 Metro GTi 1.4 16V MPI Flame Red
1995 114 SLI 1.4 8V SPI British Racing Green
1996 111 Knightsbridge SE 1.1 8V MPI Nightfire Red
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

OrangeManDan wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 pm Yeah you are probably right there actually.

Are you on the MetroPower Facebook group? If not, I'll keep an eye for you :)
no I am not on facebook at all, but my girlfriend is on the metropower facebook page so I have a look from time to time :)