Nick's VVC tidyup

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
Nick

Nick's VVC tidyup

Post by Nick »

I bought the car with the VVC engine, GTI gearbox, ARBs, exhaust, clocks, brakes and widened steel wheels, suspension mods and Astra seats already done. It also came with rusty and poorly repaired sills, so that was where I started:

The new sill tacked along the top and plug welded along most of the bottom, at which point I ran out of gas:

So I ground the welds that I had managed, tidied up, put the car back on its wheels as it lives in the street and went to the pub. I'll get another cylinder in the week and finish this on Saturday.

Then I'll have to do the other side, which ought to be easier as it doesn't have that awkwardly fitted arch repair which needs filling and painting.

Other plans are to fit the Woodstock radio I have kicking about, and once the welding is completed use the Dynamat that I bought for a previous project
gshaw0

Re: Nick's VVC tidyup

Post by gshaw0 »

Looking good Nick, also interested to see the Astra seat mod as well - think that's the first time I heard of those being fitted in a tro 8-)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Finally finished the sill - a whole days work, and it looks just the same as when I bought it:

Although it is now solid. I'll probably fill the arch repair and paint the side of the car over Christmas.

Astra seats:

which are just bolted to the original Metro runners:

I didn't fit these, and have removed the stack of washers that weren't doing much, and actually locked each bolt in place with nuts. I'll make some proper spacers next time I take it out. It doesn't rattle now!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, it's been a month and not a week, but the driver's sill is now done.

No pics, but they'd just be a mirror image of the ones I've already posted :lol:

While I had the carpet up and trim panels out, I've made a start on the Dynamat; it's along the inner sill, and covering as much as the quarter panel as I could reach into. The driver's side quarter now makes a dull thud when I tap it with a knuckle, unlike the other side which still clangs quite happily. With all of the holes filled, loose parts attached properly and the extra sound deadening I'mm hoping it will be a lot more pleasant to be in.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

dynamat is a good thing and will reduce the noise level in the car. I removed the soaking sponge like original mat beneath the carpets and put these 10mm thick rubber mats in instead. helps a bit both with noise and heat.

Pickford

Post by Pickford »

DotMatrix wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm dynamat is a good thing and will reduce the noise level in the car. I removed the soaking sponge like original mat beneath the carpets and put these 10mm thick rubber mats in instead. helps a bit both with noise and heat.

sorry to hijack but that's a good idea. May have to do the same as I've nothing but the bitumen left in mine.
N447AKU Kingfisher Blue R116 Kensington (SCRAP)

M356NVP Flame Red R114 Gta (WRITE OFF)

M752PDB Kingfisher Blue R111 Kensington SE (CURRENT PROJECT)

MM07XDP Red Pugeot 107 :lol: (DAILY)
Zimzimmer

Post by Zimzimmer »

Cool project. Anymore updates?

Love the understatement of the sleeper
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've been busy with ringing and a holiday, so it was time to do a bit more:

that's the GTi exhaust that the car came with(leaking at every joint and the silencer baffles rattling) and a new Sportex system with polyurethane mounts. What you can't see is the new downpipe and cat that I had already fitted.

and fitted

That polished tailpipe looks even tackier than I expected, so I'll probably paint it black to make it look less of an eyesore.

Some more welding to do at the inner rear wheelarches, and I'll put it back in for another MOT
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

I actualy think the polished tailpipe looks quite nice
DevonMetro

Post by DevonMetro »

Great to see the progress on this :-)
"But it's only a Metro!