"Famous" MK3 Cabriolet

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
Erick

Re: "Famous" MK3 Cabriolet

Post by Erick »

And now... the Cabby has Dutch registration plates ! :D Drove it for the first time on a longer trip tonight.. open obviously.. :) Drives perfectly.. the only problem is a sticky brake pedal.. After using the brakes, the pedal doesn't come back to it's normal position.. but I'm sure we can sort that out soon enough..
MoT test tomorrow !! Wish me luck ! ;)

This weekend one of this forum's members comes to visit me in Holland, and we'll replace the roof of the cabby.. and the one on his cabby too ! :D Together with loafds of other minor jobs that need doing..

- Fix the return spring on the brake pedal
- Fix the door lock on the drivers side
- Replace the faded bonnet logo
- Fit a METRO badge on the boot :D (Even though on this side of the sea it was officially called a Rover 114.. I prefer the name METRO on it :) )
- Continue the polish-process
- Fit an antenna (which is missing)
- Properly fit the radio
- See if we can fit a 3AS or 5AS alarm, since it seems it's prepared for that..

So.. loads of things to do.. :) Gonna be a Cabby weekend ! :)
Greetings,
Erick

'03 MG ZT-T+ CDTi [Daily driver]
'95 MK3 Rover 114 Cabriolet
'91 Mini 1000 Checkmate [Checkie] Awaiting MoT repairs
'77 Mini 850 [Currently in restoration
]
Erick

Post by Erick »

Aaaaaaand... today it passed it's first Dutch MOT test.. no advisories.. clean sheet... :) Drove open all day obviously.. Haha
Greetings,
Erick

]
Erick

Post by Erick »

UPDATE!

A few weeks ago a special friend came over from the UK for a weekend.. He brought the 2 convertible hoods we ordered from www.carhood.com and we started to fit the hood on his convertible, the result of that can be seen in another topic here.. ;)

After we did his convertible, we started doing mine.. ;) Unfortunately we had to do quite some resoration on the frame, since despite the fact the car had only done a few miles, the standing still (most likely under a leaky car cover) hadn''t done much good to the metal parts of the frame. In some places the rust was quite bad, so we had to remove these parts, remove the rust, primer it and paint it again.
I must say the coating on the metal parts wasn't very good form factory ! I guess they already started to save money on production costs back then.. :(

A view of some of the rusty bits..

The other side wasn't much better, although the RH side was the worst..

Getting the old roof of.. Cracked everywhere !

It's Off !

The bare frame

Craig working on removing the rust from one of the metal parts from the frame..

The rear speakers were fitted to a BARE METAL! plate underneath the rear shelf. We painted it in rust proofing...

.. and fit the filters for the JBL compo set, and some dampening material (most went on to the shelf)

Lining up the new Mohair roof and fitting the tension cables..

On one of the former pics you could see a rusty bit just above the bootlid. On this Metro there was a rubber flap fitted right above the bootlid. Probably to "guide" water that drops off the roof. Unfortunately the metal bar that held the rubber flap was badly rusted, as in.. barely anything left..
We made a new metal bar from aluminium, made it to follow the contours of the rear shelf, painted it black and refitted it with the rubber flap :)

Lining up the front part of the roof before gleuing it to the frame..

Front part glued and held together with clips to dry..

Glued, metal retaining plate refitted with stainless screws (originals were rusted too), and the new front roof sealing strip refitted.

Coming together slowly.. :)

Unfortuntely we didn't make the deadline for POL, so we're not gonna make it there.. :(

Perhaps I'm able to bring it to the Mini and Metro show in Gaydon in June ? :D
Greetings,
Erick

]