Metro modprod hillclimb/sprint VVC/6R4-ish thing...

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
Divetrucker

Metro modprod hillclimb/sprint VVC/6R4-ish thing...

Post by Divetrucker »

Just thought I'd let you know about a slightly unusual Metro project that I am building.

It all started when I decided to get back into motorsports after a few years off. My last creation (a Scimitar with not-a-lot of Scimitar left in it and usung a Cosworth engine) won its class everywhere it went despite many people saying it was a daft idea.

A friend was selling a VVC MGTF that he had been driving in the road car classes, so I bought it and enjoyed myself for a season. It was, however, not a slick-shod modified production car so I had to make some changes. No use running it as a modified sports car because of Westfields, etc., so what to do?

The answer, of course, was a Metro Modified Production Saloon, using the VVC engine and transmission in a full ground-effect, 6R4 body-kitted, largely space-framed, very lightweight, highly modified chassis, sort of a thing!

I bought a little blue Metro from a bloke in the Midlands and pedalled it back to Scotland. It sat in the drive for a while until I got my thinking straight.

It needed to be stripped down to a bare shell and sand blasted.... and that revealed a collection of horror stories involving the tin worm.
DotMatrix

Re: Metro modprod hillclimb/sprint VVC/6R4-ish thing...

Post by DotMatrix »

sound like a big task. the result will end up being really cool though :)
if you are making it 6r4 wide you will need new suspension arms I would think.
please post pictures :)
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

You are not wrong about the suspension arms! Everything else was going to have to be specially made too!!

I would like to add a bunch of photos but don't see how to do it, unless I have to post them onto some other site and just put in links?
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

The strip down of the shell revealed a great deal of tin worm that needed to be cut out...basically the whole of the floor and most of the cills. My intention is to create a full ground effect flat floor, so that became the challenge! The 6R4 body kit is much wider than a std Metro, so that would improve the ground effects by increasing the floor area.

Calculations of likely down-force showed that the ground effects could be considerably more powerful than the wings if done properly. The design of the chassis rake and the crucially-important rear diffuser showed up as being essentials to making this work. Given that hillclimb/sprint cars are generally travelling well below 100mph, I decided to optimise the design for 60mph which would require a very long, shallow diffuser.
Pickford

Post by Pickford »

seems interesting this thing would love to see some photos. intrigued by the 60 mph ground effect sounds perfect for a road car 😁
N447AKU Kingfisher Blue R116 Kensington (SCRAP)

M356NVP Flame Red R114 Gta (WRITE OFF)

M752PDB Kingfisher Blue R111 Kensington SE (CURRENT PROJECT)

MM07XDP Red Pugeot 107 :lol: (DAILY)
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

Ground effect on a road car... Only if you can live with 40mm ground clearance! 😁
Last edited by Divetrucker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Divetrucker wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 am
I would like to add a bunch of photos but don't see how to do it, unless I have to post them onto some other site and just put in links?
Yes. Put the photos somewhere and link to them in your posts
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

This is the poor little Metro that got chosen to be modified to the extreme.
Last edited by Divetrucker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

Strip down underway...the dog seems to like the seating!
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

Once we had cut out the rustiest bits...