Metro modprod hillclimb/sprint VVC/6R4-ish thing...

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
Divetrucker

Re: Metro modprod hillclimb/sprint VVC/6R4-ish thing...

Post by Divetrucker »

Neither a Metro bonnet nor a 6R4 bonnet fit this car, so we made our own out of alloy. It includes the necessary bulge to cover the cam cover, and a set of rear holes allowing the high pressure air generated by the spinning tyres and the cooling system air flow to join the boundary layer flow over the windscreen where it ought to assist with the flow over the rear wing. Another future task is to get a single piece front end made up.
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

It's first hillclimb?

Raised up to let us fit the front undertray.
Pickford

Post by Pickford »

Jesus you work quick fella and I'm not two far of 50mm from road to subframe anyway so another 10mm won't hurt :)
N447AKU Kingfisher Blue R116 Kensington (SCRAP)

M356NVP Flame Red R114 Gta (WRITE OFF)

M752PDB Kingfisher Blue R111 Kensington SE (CURRENT PROJECT)

MM07XDP Red Pugeot 107 :lol: (DAILY)
Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

Well, it is not too difficult to make it ground effect. Being a road car, you could even fit side skirts, which are outlawed for track use. Getting the floor something like flat will be the biggest challenge.
Pickford

Post by Pickford »

hmm didint really want to fit sideskirts but surely if I just stick a sheet of Ali underneath and heat wrap the entire exhaust should be flat enough it's just the front undertray and diffuser I may have issues with

Divetrucker

Post by Divetrucker »

The front undertray doesn't need to be complicated, but you will have to work around the exhaust and the gear linkages. The rear diffuser will clash with the spare wheel well but you will just need to get the best length possible. You should aim for a diffuser angle of 7-8 degrees. You will also have to work round the silencer, which might need routed straight out the back if possible.
Pickford

Post by Pickford »

cheers bud I'll have a think about that at the front then so by the sound of it it's easier just to cut the wheel well out then? and just make sure the diffuser is as long as I can get it?

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Pickford wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm cheers bud I'll have a think about that at the front then so by the sound of it it's easier just to cut the wheel well out then? and just make sure the diffuser is as long as I can get it?
besides helping aerodynamics an engine bay undertray should also lower the engine noise in car.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

very impressive build! how long time have it taken to get this far then?

the tubing on those rear trailing arms looks a bit thin to me, what do you think, did you do calculations on that material also?
the works turbos definitely used a lot larger diameter tube.